Mission & Scope
Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad is an open-access, peer-reviewed academic journal that communicates the latest research on education abroad within a multi-disciplinary forum to reflect on critical issues and concerns for academics and professional practitioners.
Frontiers encourages a variety of disciplines, subject matters and perspectives in order to enrich the field. Its interdisciplinary scope and open-access content aim to document and disseminate innovative advancements and foster dialogue and debate for a wide audience in international education.
Frontiers focuses on areas such as:
- New approaches to address challenges in the field;
- Development of tools and measures for assessing the intellectual, personal, and intercultural development of students in an international and intercultural context;
- Innovative study abroad program models or interventions;
- Discursive explorations of the cultural and intellectual underpinnings of international educational exchange;
- Examples of good practice in study abroad programming;
- Reviews and analysis of books, monographs and articles written on topics related to U.S. study abroad and higher education.
Open Access Statement
Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad is a platinum open access journal. All articles are available on the internet to all users immediately upon publication and at no cost to readers or authors.
Open access is beneficial to authors and readers because it offers:
- Free, immediate access to readers and researchers around the world
- Increased visibility and readership
- Fast publication
- Open length limits (5000 to 10000 words preferred)
All accepted manuscripts are published online under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 License. Authors retain the copyright to their work. Users may read, copy, and distribute the work in any medium or format for non-commercial purposes, provided the authors and the journal are appropriately credited. The users are not allowed to remix, transform or build upon the published material.
Frontiers is published by The Forum on Education Abroad, which funds the fully open-access model.
Mission Statement and Open Access Statement adopted August 30, 2017.